Kimchi Fried Whole Grain Rice
Not low FODMAP friendly
2 cups cooked whole grain rice, approx 500g, (it’s great to use up leftover rice)
250g jar kimchi, chopped
250g tofu (or you can use chicken fillet), diced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
100g spinach leaf,
3 tbsp extra Virgin olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
150g Shelled edamame (or use peas)
2 eggs, beaten
Black pepper to taste
1 tbsp Sesame seeds (optional)
2 tbsp Pumpkin seeds (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp of the olive oil and the diced tofu (or chicken) and cook until coloured and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add another 1 tbsp oil and the onion. Sauté for 3-4 minutes until the onion becomes translucent, then add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add the chopped kimchi to the pan and stir-fry for about 2-3 minutes until it becomes slightly cooked and fragrant. Place with the tofu.
- In the same pan add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and the cooked rice. Break up any clumps of rice and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes until the rice is heated through.
- Meanwhile mix together the sesame oil, soy sauce and eggs. Pour the mixture over the rice and stir-fry for an additional 3-5 minutes, until all the egg is cooked and beginning to caramelise.
- Add the cooked tofu (or chicken) and kimchi back to the pan along with the edamame, spring onion and spinach and stir-fry until wilted and heated through. Season with pepper to taste.